As well as designing, building and fitting your mezzanine floor, we can provide all the extras such as staircases in order to make your project a success.
Our staircases can be supplied suitable for warehouses, offices or even highly prominent stairs suitable for retail enviroments.
Building Regulations ‘Part M’ Compliant Stairs
A Part M ‘ambulant disabled staircase’ will have the following characteristics.
- The rise of each step is between 150 – 170mm, and the going at least 250mm.
- A maximum of 12 risers before a landing are required (up to 16 in small premises where space is restricted).
- Materials for treads should not present a slip hazard, especially when wet.
- Tread nosings should be highlighted
- Clear tread width should not be less than 1200mm and the landings at least 1200mm long.
- The overlap of treads should be no more than 25mm and avoided if possible. There is continuous handrail on each side of a flight and landings.
- Handrail should extend safely at least 300mm horizontally beyond the top and bottom of a flight of steps
- The vertical height to the top of the upper handrail from the pitch line of the flight of stairs is between 900mm and 1100mm, and from the surface of a landing is between 900mm and 1100mm.
- Its surface is slip resistant and not cold to the touch.
- Its profile is either circular with a diameter of between 40mm and 45mm, or oval preferably with a width of 50mm.
- The clearance between the handrail and any adjacent wall surface is between 60 and 75 mm.